Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Healthy" Dessert



I know, I know. "Healthy Dessert" is pretty much an oxymoron. But please, let me justify eating this one, because I do so love it.



From the picture it certainly looks bad for you! It tastes bad for you too. Really though, it's probably no worse than what you had for breakfast.

It's called clafoutis. It's an Italian dessert that is something like a cross between a pancake and a custard. If you want to make the true Italian version you'll have to use un-pitted cherries, but I like to use up whatever stone fruits I have in the kitchen, particularly ones that are under ripe and aren't good for eating out of hand. Basically you're baking fresh fruit with fairly little sugar, and a good amount of eggs. A good way to squeeze in a little extra protein for your little one at the end of the day. Kirah won't touch plain eggs lately, but she gobbles this up and calls it "peachy cake".



I have been told that my recipe is a bit different than others, but I have always had success with it, and it's always delicious!

Clafoutis

1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 lb fresh fruit (cherries, nectarines, plums, peaches, pluots, and apricots are all great)
2 Tbsp powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Grease tart or pie pan, or individual tins. Pit and slice fruit if desired/as necessary. Arrange fruit in bottom on pan(s) in a single layer.

Whisk flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in milk and vanilla until just incorporated. Pour batter over arranged fruit and bake for 45 minutes until puffed and slightly brown on top.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment