Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Beachfront Property



Last weekend Hubby, Kirah and I got to go to one of my favorite beaches in the Seattle area. It's a beach my family has been coming to since I was a baby (and maybe before that, who knows?), and, like most of the beaches along Puget Sound, it is not very sandy.

As a kid who grew up island hopping through the San Juans in the summers I recognize the value of a good rocky beach. Who needs soft sand to lie on when there is so much to do? Gently overturn rocks at low tide and you will find tiny crabs, starfish, beautiful snails, and maybe a sea cucumber if you're lucky. Watch the surf as you walk along and you may snag some welk or periwinkle shells, shiny agates, or colorful sea glass. But at our favorite beach it's the driftwood we're interested in.

From the time my sister and I were small we have loved leaning against a giant log, relaxing in the gravelly sand, and building tiny houses out of the little driftwood sticks that we find all over the shore. It seems silly, but it's fun and even as adults we can't go to the beach without starting at least a modest house.



The technique is simple, really. Take a quick walk around, gathering as many little sticks and pieces of bark you can find, along with any pretty stones, dry seaweed, seashells or whatever else you come across. Stake out a good little square on a sandier part of the beach, and start building. Create a small structure, then decorate as you see fit.

Together we have probably made 50 or 60 of these little houses in our lives. I can't wait until Kirah is big enough to not get frustrated with toppling towers and has the patience to sort through the beach for just the right pieces. This is a great activity for kids who are a little older - we don't want pebbles in mouths or up noses. ;)



We always like to add little details like fish ponds (with a bottle cap, or clam or crab shell to hold the water), rock gardens, seaweed covered trees, and so on.

This one is the first house my husband built with my sister and I, before we were married:



As you can see, he's a natural - he has 2 stories!

I hope if you have a great rocky beach in your area that you'll try this out next time you go. We always get lots of passers-by who stop and check them out, so be prepared for a little attention! And if you do make some houses, please snap some pictures and send them my way! I'd love to see what you come up with!



No comments:

Post a Comment